The latest fundraiser I was a part of was the Pink Floyd themed “Another Brick in the EcoSan Latrine Wall.” We sold cardboard bricks for $10 and entered people’s names in for door prizes that church members donated (wine or beer tastings, multi-course home cooked meals, jewelry making class, etc.). Then a couple Sundays ago at our annual Chili fest potluck, we used everyone’s bricks to build a life sized (well, maybe a bit smaller) EcoSan Latrine.
I have to say that ever since having joined Ubuntu about two years ago, I have been impressed at how intentional the group has been in:
- honouring the people of Kamenzi
- maintaining the relationships formed in 2009 when we sent a small delegation to Malawi
- allowing the community in Malawi to manage the development
- communicate the needs of the Kamenzi communities to our church
- raising funds for the projects